Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Baby Play

 Sensory Baskets

I developed a "fall" sensory basket (with a few random surprises thrown in such as a silicone muffin cup, a metal measuring cup, and some popsicle sticks.)  I cut autumn colored string about the same length as a binkie string holder and layered it like spaghetti.  I found some silk leaves (no small pieces) a shell, a wood block and some feathers.  Special K just loved it!  In fact ALL my children have been playing with these special baskets!  I wish I had a snapshot of my 12 year old constructing a tower with the big sensory tub, or my little ballerina making "soup" with the metal pot and wooden spoon!  It makes me wonder if mixing objects in a tub would work for the older set.  Hmmmmm.
Baby food jar tops.
Bowl of tied up baby socks anyone?  Satisfies K's sock obsession!
 Baby Play
I devote a great deal of time and energy creating learning opportunities for my bigger babes, all while my little guy looks on sitting in a ring of toys that he is content to explore.  He's a "potted plant" baby.  Such a nice stage!

But he is changing!.  Both physically and cognitively.  He wants to move!  He is ready to uproot but is frustrated as to how!  He pulls one leg back, extends the other, reaches as far as he can and attempts to "scoot",  Emotionally, this is tough on little guy,  As evidenced by the fact that every time I get up and walk away from him, he cries and shrieks! Almost to say, "I wish I could move to come with you too, mommy!"  I know this will pass, and he will be too busy trying to move away from me to remember this sentiment in a matter of months now!

He has also rejected his usual fare of toys.  He's in a "Dude.  Been there, done that!" state!  So he shrieks and fusses in boredom.  "Someone come make things exciting for me!"  Usually big babes come to his beckon and make faces, give kisses, sing to him, or hand him a new toy to play with.  That's great.  But observation was that he enjoyed baskets and bins of found and random objects from around the house.  So, I formalized it and dubbed them sensory baskets. Turns out I'm not alone with this idea!  My friend over at the Imagination Tree talks about the importance of heuristic play and open exploration.  Here's what I've developed thus far.
A fabric box with $5 in a plethora of  textures!
A variety of textures, shapes, and sizes were found around the house..


Discovery bottles,  super glue the caps!


Sand dough recipe

1 comment:

  1. How fun that you have started this blog Jen! I look forward to following along :-)

    ReplyDelete